Gut zu wissen
- Dauer: Zwischen 2 und 2 Monaten
- Beginn zwischen dem 01.09.2015 und dem 31.10.2015
In this internship you will develop a FPGA to monitor memory transactions on the Power8 system memory bus (DMI). Based on this FPGA you will then investigate the DMI under specific workloads and applications and identify options for acceleration.
You will have the opportunity to participate in a leading edge technology project at IBM Research & Development Lab in Boeblingen. Our department is developing FPGA based accelerators, supercomputer and high performance computing (HPC) products and applications. One of our focus areas is FPGA based acceleration for System z and System p as well as the recently announced OpenPower platform. During the duration of your assignment you will face an interesting and challenging hot topic in one of our fields of expertise that you can participate in.
Aspects of this internship include:
- Work in a large, globally distributed world wide team.
- Do software and VHDL development on the latest Power8 CPUs with an Altera FPGA driven interface using the Altera Development Suite
- Study the Power8 system memory transaction flow and behavior running applications
- Implement a DMI attached FPGA based performance monitor and perform analysis on the memory bus
- Based on your analysis develop a 'mini accelerator' as a prove of concept on one specific memory based transaction model
We expect you to:
- Have very good programming skills in C and/or C++.
- Have worked with one of the major FPGA development suites and know how to program FPGA's.
- Be familiar with Linux and device drivers.
- Have background and enthusiasm for Power8 system architecture.
- Be fluent in English or German
Regarding formal qualification, we expect you to:
- Be a candidate for a masters or diploma degree in computer science, electrical engineering or comparable
- A plus would be any of the following items:
- Knowledge in the Theory of software acceleration and algorithms
- Knowledge in FPGA architecture and timing optimized programming
Es erwarten Sie herausfordernde Aufgabenstellungen in einem teamorientierten und dynamischen Umfeld sowie viele Möglichkeiten zur aktiven Mitgestaltung.