- Datenbankentwicklung / BI
- Google Cloud Platform
- Machine Learning
- Oracle DB - PL/SQL
Springer Nature opens the doors to discovery for researchers, educators, clinicians and other professionals. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals, platforms and technology solutions reach millions of people. For over 175 years our brands and imprints have been a trusted source of knowledge to these communities and today, more than ever, we see it as our responsibility to ensure that fundamental knowledge can be found, verified, understood and used by our communities – enabling them to improve outcomes, make progress, and benefit the generations that follow.
Visit: group.springernature.com and follow @SpringerNature
Purpose of the role:
The role forms part of Springer Nature's Database Engineering team.
The team supports a large number of database servers in a rapidly evolving and dynamic environment.
A new team member will have an opportunity to work on one or more technologies such as MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle, Marklogic and Stardog, deployed on the Google Cloud Platform and in the on-premise data centres.
The Database Engineer will use existing automation tools and will improve them to manage a large number of servers.
A new team member will have the opportunity to learn and collaborate on building Machine Learning pipelines based on PyTorch, Tensorflow, Airflow, Hugging Face Transformers, etc.
- Improve the database systems in production and development environments.
- Participate in maintenance, upgrades and migrations.
- Automate management of new and existing databases to ensure that processes are repeatable and scalable.
- Tune performance by using the latest diagnostic tools to identify inefficient database queries or underlying problems.
- Take an active role in supporting and in finding the root cause of operational issues and prevent recurrences.
- Visit other offices and collaborate with the development and other teams.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent work experience
Have advanced knowledge of one or more technologies listed below with the desire to expand on this knowledge:
- MS SQL
Be familiar with performance tuning and troubleshooting.
- Be an excellent communicator and believe in working collaboratively.
- Experience in automation and configuration management, preferably with Ansible.
Additional Experience is a plus:
- Unix shell scripting or programming experience.
- Experience with PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB or ElasticSearch.
- Experience using Google Cloud Platform.
- Deploying Machine Learning models in production environments.
Need to be capable of:
Keeps up to date with emerging technologies, and applies them where appropriate.
Pairs with developers and peers to share knowledge, best practices, and collaboratively improve our platform. Is comfortable with using video chat tools to communicate with globally distributed team members.
To apply please upload a copy of your CV and covering letter, stating your salary expectations.
Please inform your manager if you are an internal candidate making an application for this role.
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.
Requisition ID: 35067